Great question, but I don’t know if I could nail it down to just one! Let’s see what we have here…
I made a list of all the characters I ever really cared about, and I realized they all had some striking similarities. So I grouped them into four roughly-hewn segments, and I went digging. The more I explored, the more I realized that all of my favorite characters ever fell into these four groups.
I didn’t think it would be too interesting to include them all, so here’s a short list.
- Oedipa Maas from The Crying of Lot 49
- Don Jr. from Foreign Experiences
- Hamlet from Hamlet
- The Square from Flatland
- Hermione from Harry Potter
- Valentine Michael Smith from Stranger in a Strange Land
- Sam Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings
- Alice from Alice in Wonderland
- Beanish from Beanworld
- Odysseus from The Odyssey
- Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard
- Susannah Dean from The Dark Tower
- Pinocchio from Pinocchio
- Ben Hawkins from Carnivale
- Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica
- Walter White from Breaking Bad
- Medea from Medea
- Olympia Binewski from Geek Love
I’m trying hard not to reflect too deeply on what my favorite characters say about me, but I feel thoroughly naked right now!